Wareham man charged with animal cruelty

Oct 27, 2017

A Wareham man is facing animal cruelty charges after officials said his dog was locked inside a house with a dangerously high amount of natural gas.

According to the Wareham Department of Natural Resources, Robert Proctor of 18 Martin St. left his dog in the house with natural gas “over combustible levels, rendering it an unsafe environment.” There was gas in the home because a stove was left on, but not ignited. Officials did not say whether the stove was left on intentionally or accidentally.

First responders arrived at the home on Oct. 21 after a 911 call. The caller reported that Proctor was seen wandering in traffic on Cranberry Highway with another dog, an unleashed Yorkshire terrier.

Officials said Proctor was being treated for unspecified injuries when he told authorities his second dog was at home. Proctor then gave officers permission to enter the house.

Upon arrival, Department of Natural Resource Officers found the home locked and smelled natural gas through a partially opened window. The Onset Fire Department was called and firefighters ventilated the house. Officials said the dog “appeared in good health and was active” after being removed. Both dogs were taken to an animal shelter uninjured.

As a result of the department’s investigation, officials said Proctor endangered the Yorkshire terrier found in traffic and inflicted “unnecessary cruelty” upon the other. Proctor “failed to provide necessary sustenance” for both dogs, according to officials. Proctor was also cited for violating the town’s leash law.

This is the second time in three months officials responded to 18 Martin St.

On Aug. 13, a car struck a tree and spun to a stop against the house. The car's driver, Delores Proctor, 61, then backed up and struck the house again causing significant damage, police said

She was charged with operating under the influence of drugs after failing several field sobriety tests and admitting to using prescription medication, according to police. Proctor was also cited for operating after license suspension and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

Comments (6)
Posted by: cranky pants | Oct 27, 2017 17:56

Wow, amazing story. Thankfully there wasn't further incident at the home, that could have been ugly seeing how close the houses are to each other.



Posted by: Wareham By The Sea | Oct 27, 2017 18:27

Could have ended very badly for the poor dog or the whole neighborhood if it blew up.  It seems like Proctor isn't playing with a full deck.  He is responsible for the care of his dogs and the proper careful operation of his stove, no questions there.  It is unclear whether he intentionally turned the gas on to harm the dog or was that accidental and coincidental?  Interesting series of events.



Posted by: totellthetruth | Oct 27, 2017 21:01

Same house where the car drove into last month, and the guy had the generators running in the basement.



Posted by: totellthetruth | Oct 27, 2017 21:02

Same house where the car drove into last month, and the guy had the generators running in the basement.



Posted by: Swifts_Sheriff | Oct 27, 2017 21:20

The Magnet in full affect



Posted by: desertsky | Oct 28, 2017 08:04

I hope the poor dogs aren't returned to this loser. At least their lives have been spared..this time...he shouldn't have dogs. I'm sick of people like him and HE deserves to be locked in his house with the gas on, not his poor dogs. Go back and wander in traffic..



If you wish to comment, please login.