Onset fireworks coming after $40,000 fundraising goal reached

By Matthew Bernat | Jun 21, 2018
Photo by: Matthew Bernat Bob Hayes takes bids during the Onset Bay Association's annual Fireworks Auction Fundraiser on Thursday.

It’s official: Fireworks will light up Onset Bay to celebrate the Fourth of July as organizers reached their $40,000 goal on Thursday.

“Clearly, the fireworks mean so much to a lot of people,” said Onset Bay Association President Kat Jones. “I’m just so grateful.”

Jones spoke at the association’s annual Fireworks Fundraising Auction, held at Mezza Luna in Bourne. Bidders vied for a kayak, jewelry, fire pit and more during the evening, but Jones revealed that an anonymous donor put the fundraising efforts over the top hours before the auction began.

Jones received a check for $2,500, and it was just enough to reach $40,000.

All of the funds raised during the auction, which has brought in upwards of $13,000 in years past, will be put towards next year’s fireworks fund.

“It’s all gravy tonight,” said Jones, noting that the association has stepped up fundraising efforts over the past year. “The whole idea behind being aggressive about fundraising is so we don’t have to scramble at the last minute.”

The fireworks are on sound financial footing three years after a lack of funds cancelled the show.

Since then, a sizable contribution from John Decas – $25,000 – provided seed money for the event over the course of five years. The association will use $5,000 of it annually to help fund the fireworks.

The fireworks are scheduled for Saturday, July 7. Rain date is July 8.

Deb Alfonso sells tickets for a chance to win an apron of lottery tickets before the auction. (Photo by: Matthew Bernat)
Onset Bay Association President Kat Jones said the group reached its $40,000 goal on Thursday thanks to a $2,500 donation. (Photo by: Matthew Bernat)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.