Ocean State Job Lot evacuated following reported gas leak

Aug 10, 2017
Photo by: Matthew Bernat Ocean State Job Lot employees wait outside as firefighters test for carbon monoxide levels following a reported leak Thursday afternoon.

A crew reportedly operating generators while working on Ocean State Job Lot’s roof forced an evacuation of the store on Thursday afternoon.

According to emergency broadcasts, police were notified that the odor of an unspecified type of gas was detected both inside and outside the store at 2:27 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters learned that a work crew was using gasoline-powered generators on the roof and believed that carbon monoxide was leaking into the building.

Ocean State Job Lot staff and customers were evacuated while firefighters tested inside the building for carbon monoxide levels. Emergency broadcasts reported that no carbon monoxide was detected.

The building was reopened soon after firefighters vented Ocean State Job Lot as a precaution.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Wareham By The Sea | Aug 11, 2017 11:17

The term "leaking" minimizes what really happened here.  I'm not saying it was intentional but I do feel there was negligence because air from up on the roof is always being drawn (not leaked) into the building.  Any competent work crew should have know to never ever run gasoline engines up there!

 

Here's a little HVAC 101:  The Job Lot side of the building has about 20 Roof Top Units (RTUs) evenly distributed over the entire roof.  RTUs provide the Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) to the building. Each RTU has an outside air damper that modulates to allow a specific amount of outside air to be drawn into the building.  Code usually requires a minimum of 10% outside air when the building is occupied.  It can be as high as 100% when outside air conditions are favorable and the unit can run in economizer mode. It is a basic fact that RTUs draw between 10% and 100% outside air in whenever the building is occupied.

 

Shame on anybody that runs a gasoline engine anywhere near a RTU.



If you wish to comment, please login.