Fire damages home on Pine Tree Drive in Onset

By Matthew Bernat | Jul 04, 2017
Photo by: Matthew Bernat Onset firefighters work to ventilate a house that caught fire on Tuesday.

A small house fire on Pine Tree Drive Tuesday afternoon was reported by a neighbor as a Fourth of July party took place at the home.

The fire started at a one-and-a-half-story home at 14 Pine Drive at approximately 3:41 p.m. A neighbor, who declined to be identified, said he noticed the roof “smoldering” and called first responders.

As Onset firefighters worked, residents who were at their own parties stood in the street to watch the commotion, many wearing bathing suits.

Neighbors said there was a gathering at the time and that those inside the home were apparently unaware of the danger upstairs when the fire was first reported.

Onset Fire Chief Ray Goodwin said it appears the fire started where a staple was pressed against an electrical wire. The wire was powering a fan. No injuries were reported.

Goodwin said firefighters were clear of the scene at 5 p.m. He said the attic of the home suffered extensive damage and that the fire was difficult to battle due to tight quarters.

Goodwin noted that Wareham EMS and the Wareham and Bourne Fire Departments assisted during the call while Wareham Police directed traffic. He praised all of the agencies involved.

“All of the public safety agencies came together and everybody did an excellent job,” said Goodwin.

Neighbors watch as Onset firefighters work to assess a home that caught fire Tuesday. (Photo by: Matthew Bernat)
Onset firefighters on the scene at Tuesday's fire. (Photo by: Matthew Bernat)
Pine Tree Drive residents look on after Onset firefighters knocked down a fire at 14 Pine Tree Drive. (Photo by: Matthew Bernat)
Comments (2)
Posted by: Spherebreaker | Jul 05, 2017 07:19

HMMMMM, Solar Panels....Faulty wiring?  Makes you wonder



Posted by: Society for Suppression of Noise | Jul 05, 2017 23:02

Heard a story on the radio recently about a New Bedford solar panel installer who used undersized wiring in their installations.  Big brouha ongoing, apparently.



If you wish to comment, please login.