The storage professionals at Community Mini Storage bring you some helpful tips for packing a storage unit:
Beds, tables and other bulky pieces should be disassembled. Take apart lawn mowers and snow blowers too, making sure to drain all fuel tanks completely.
Once everything is disassembled and packed, put it in your space in a way that makes sense.
- Store the items you will use most at the front of the unit where you can get at them.
- Leave a center aisle for easy access, and remember to stack everything at least two inches from walls to allow for air circulation.
- Use protective covering on mattresses and upholstered furnishings.
- Shelving may be placed against the walls. Boxes and small items should be stored on the shelves.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures with protective pads or use a special mirror carton and store them on end.
- Remember to keep refrigerator doors slightly ajar. Place an open box of baking soda or sprinkle some in refrigerator to keep it fresh. And don't forget to use the space inside appliances for storage too.
- If it is fragile, pack carefully to avoid breakage. Wrap dishes individually and use special dish boxes.
- Wipe a few drops of oil on bicycles and tools to prevent rusting, and then store these items away from furniture to avoid oil staining.
- Wardrobe boxes allow you to store clothing on hangers. Shoes can be stored in the bottom of the wardrobe boxes, while folded clothing can be stored in boxes or dresser drawers.
- Identify the contents of each box for easy reference while in storage or transit.
Have a question about storage? Call the storage professionals at Community Mini Storage at 508 291 0875 or visit us at 2370 Cranberry Highway, West Wareham, MA 02576.
Visit us on the web at www.communityministorage.com
Additional Blog Posts (1 - 2 of 2)
By Charles Pillsbury - Mar 29Wrap pictures and mirrors in protective covering, such as bubble wrap, move wrap or old blankets, then cover with paper or use a specially ...