Jordan Hospital’s Cancer Center Offering Nurse Navigator Services
Jordan Hospital Club Cancer Center announces the addition of Nurse Navigation to its services. Marcia Brightman, RN, OCN, will serve as a full-time Oncology Nurse Navigator in the Cancer Center. Prior to this, Brightman worked as an Oncology Nurse at Jordan Hospital since 1993. As the Oncology Nurse Navigator, Brightman helps guide patients and their family through their cancer journey. The Navigator serves as the single point of contact that can be there with the patient every step of the way.
“When a patient is diagnosed with cancer, he or she can become overwhelmed. Undergoing various treatments and dealing with healthcare professionals from different specialties like radiologists, pharmacists, and oncologists can be a lot to handle” says Lesley Cunningham, Director, Cancer Services. “Having a full time Nurse Navigator whose focus is to walk patients and their families through the treatment process is critical today; given how complicated it can be to navigate the healthcare system.
Brightman is also responsible for planning and educating patients and families about their individual cancer diagnosis and treatment options. More specifically:
- Supporting and navigating each patient through treatment by reinforcing education and coordinating information and care with a team of physicians and allied healthcare professionals
- Participating in weekly cancer conferences with physicians, genetic counselors, and nurses to discuss and determine the best treatment plan for each newly diagnosed patient with cancer
- Facilitating support groups and programs and referring patients to appropriate cancer support programs and resources in their communities
- Teaching about cancer prevention, screening guidelines, diagnosis, treatment options, and the importance of early detection
In addition to the Cancer Center Nurse Navigator, Jordan Hospital’s Breast Center established a full-time Breast Health Nurse Navigator in 2009.
About Jordan Hospital
Jordan Hospital is a not-for-profit organization serving 12 towns in Plymouth and Barnstable Counties.Established in 1901, Jordan Hospital is a full-service, 155-bed acute care community hospital accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the College of American Pathologists, the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, and the American College of Radiology.
- Jordan Hospital275 Sandwich St.Phone: 508-746-2000
Plymouth, MA 02360